Wearing your beret correctly
Moulding your Beret:
Dunk your beret in warm water—do not use hot or boiling water, as this can cause the wool to shrink.
Once your beret is damp and pliable (if it is dripping wet, gently wring out excess water), place the damp beret on your head. Adjust it to proper fit.
Pull the cardboard stiffener so it is centered over your left eye and smooth the material over your head. Fold the extra material over to the right forward side of your head, pulling it down towards your right ear. It should just touch your ear or go just below that.
Wear the beret for a while until it has begun to dry.
Carefully take off the beret and set it aside to finish drying. You may need to shape it a few times to get it right.
Wearing your newly moulded beret:
- The beret is worn so that the headband (edge binding) is horizontal across the forehead, one 1 inch (25cm) above the eyebrows.
- The badge must be clearly displayed in a position above the left eye.
- The excess material is draped over to the right ear, extending to at least the top of the ear, and no lower than the middle of the ear.
- Females with long hair are required to wear a hair net the colour of which must match their hair colour as closely as possible.
- When worn properly, the beret is formed to the shape of the head, therefore, cadets should not wear hairstyles that cause distortion of the beret.